1% for the Planet Member
As of January 1st, 2023, S. Howell Studios is a certified member of 1% for the Planet and a minimum of one percent of all sales are donated to approved environmental partners. By being a part of this global network, I am committed to making a positive impact on our planet and contributing to the vital work being done to protect and preserve our environment.
Currently, S. Howell Studios is partnering with Swan Valley Connections, a collaborative conservation and education nonprofit in Montana.
Additional Sustainabilty Actions
I care deeply about our planet and constantly seek ways to minimize my environmental impact. Here are some of the measures I'm currently undertaking at S. Howell Studios:
- Embracing second hand items: I prioritize using second hand furniture, fixtures, and equipment throughout my studio. Even smaller items like hand towels and tools are sourced second hand whenever possible.
- Opting for hand towels over paper towels: I strive to minimize paper towel usage by using hand towels for various tasks. A single roll of unbleached, 100% recycled paper towels lasts over two years in my studio.
- Mindful glove usage: I use biodegradable gloves sparingly, ensuring one box can last over three years.
- Waste reduction and biodegradable bags: I actively eliminate waste and utilize biodegradable waste bags. A 1.5 gallon waste bin takes approximately four months to fill.
- Energy efficient lighting: I prioritize using energy efficient LED light bulbs in my studio for reduced energy consumption.
- Responsible sourcing: I carefully select tools, supplies, and inventory from companies that share my dedication to the planet such as Rio Grande, a net zero energy company, Hoover & Strong, offering recycled and fair mined products, and Halstead, a solar-powered company that utilizes recycled packaging and provides recycled metal options.
- Recycling and composting: I make it a point to recycle or compost all packaging materials received with tools, supplies and inventory.
- Paper waste reduction: To minimize paper waste, I utilize dry erase sticky notes and reusable notebooks. When office paper is necessary, it is sourced from 100% recycled materials.
- Eco friendly alternatives: In my studio, I employ eco friendly alternatives to common chemicals, such as using citric acid instead of chemical laden pickling solutions and vegetable fat based, chemical free polishing compounds.
- Eco friendly cleaning products: I prioritize the use of eco friendly, chemical free cleaning products with reusable containers. This includes plant and mineral derived, dissolvable tablet cleaning sprays and soaps, as well as dissolvable laundry sheets for washing studio towels.
- Metal recycling: I recycle all precious metal scraps, including floor sweeps. I also recycle steel from flex shaft bits once they're worn down.
- Responsible wax use: I melt wax from flasks prepared for casting into a collection tray before burnout to significantly reduce the amount of wax that is burned off.
- Safe soldering practices: I utilize an acetylene tank for soldering, as acetylene does not pose a health or environmental hazard according to the EPA. The refillable tank minimizes the need for disposal or recycling.
- Sustainable materials: I prioritize the use of recycled metals whenever possible.
- Environmentally conscious packaging: I prioritize the use of recyclable and/or compostable packaging materials. All packaging materials, excluding the foam insert inside the jewelry boxes, are made from FSC certified or recycled materials. Even the shipping labels are biodegradable, ensuring minimal environmental impact throughout the packaging journey.
- Carbon offsetting: To offset the environmental impact of shipping, I offset carbon emissions for every order that is shipped out.
- Supporting environmental causes: I donate a minimum of 1% of all sales each year to approved environmental partners through my membership with 1% for the Planet.
- Reusability and longevity: Each piece I create is handcrafted in small batches using quality materials. I strive to ensure that my work is never destined for a landfill, as the materials can be reused indefinitely.
- Commitment to continuous improvement: I actively follow, read, research and learn from sustainability experts to continuously improve my practices.
I am dedicated to making a positive impact and continually seek ways to enhance my sustainability efforts.