Remove your jewelry before:
- Showering or bathing. Soap can cause a film to form on the jewelry, making it appear dull. Also before entering the pool or spa. Chlorinated water can react with metals causing color changes and structural damage.
- Performing manual tasks such as kitchen work, household cleaning and gardening to prevent physical damage or exposure to chemicals.
- Applying cosmetics, hairspray, perfumes and lotion.
Keep Your Jewelry Clean
Clean your jewelry regularly to keep it looking great!
- Use warm water with mild soap to clean. A soft toothbrush can be used when necessary but avoid stones. Dry thoroughly before wearing or storing to avoid tarnish.
- The oils from your skin actually help prevent tarnish on sterling silver so wearing pieces like rings often will help keep them shiny!
- If your piece came with a polishing cloth, you can gently rub the piece with the cloth to give it some shine. Wash piece with warm, soapy water afterwards. The cloth can be used until the entire thing becomes black.
Store Your Jewelry
Sterling silver is prone to developing oxidation over time from exposure to natural oils and moisture.
- Store each jewelry piece in the original packaging or an airtight environment such as a plastic bag to maintain the luster of your jewelry and prevent tarnish from developing.
- You can also keep a silver anti-tarnish strip in your storage container to absorb the oxidants that discolor and tarnish jewelry.
- Traveling can be tough on jewelry, so it's wise to use a travel case to protect your favorite jewelry pieces from damage.
Be Gentle on Soft Stones
Some stones such as apatite are fairly soft making them unsuitable for rings and bracelets, yet perfect for necklaces and earrings. Handle with care as dropping pieces with soft stones on a hard surface or cleaning with silver cleaners could damage the stones.
Collection Specific Care
The Leaf & Twig Collection pieces and other pieces with a high shine finish. In addition to everything listed above, you can dip your piece in Brilliant Silver Cleaner for 30 seconds, rinse and wipe with a soft cloth. You can also polish your jewelry with a 100% cotton cloth or a polishing cloth. Avoid stones.
The Blooming Lupine Collection pieces have a satin finish. In addition to the general jewelry care, you can lightly brush your piece with a 3M microfine sanding pad to maintain the matte finish. Avoid stones. Alternatively, to brighten up a tarnished surface, dip in Brilliant Silver Cleaner for 30 seconds, rinse and wipe with a soft cloth.
The Cedar Collection pieces have an oxidized finish. In addition to the care instructions above, you can give them some shine with a 100% cotton cloth or a polishing cloth. You can also use super fine steel wool but be extra cautious around stones.
Cuff Bracelet Care
Please do not bend cuffs. If need be, you can very slightly adjust the opening to be the perfect space for your wrist. However, once adjusted it should not be moved again. Pulling the ends of the cuff away from each other or pushing them together too much will alter the shape and could crack the metal or damage the piece.